Pages

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Hell Week Day 3!

Yesterday was tough. I knew it was going to be hot, but at 7.30am I thought I could sneak in a quick run before the infamous NQ humidity set in. Oh how wrong I was! I was fine until about 3.5km in... taking my time and running (jogging) at a relatively slow 7min/km pace. My originally plan was to run 15km, so I set out quiet conservatively seeing as a) my longest runs have been 10km for some time now, b) I live and train in a not so sunny Melbourne and c) I always aim for a negative split :)

I won't go into too much detail as I'm about to run again (it's an hour earlier so I'm hoping a quick 5km will suffice), but let's just say I ended up walking the hills, adding in a few walking (30s) intervals and then shuffling the rest of the way home when I knew I just had 1.5km more to get through. Mental training... FAIL. I have so much more work to do before long course, but it was a good learning experience to say the least!

The things I will do differently are: a) bring my fuel belt! I know you're going to say it was very silly attempting a 15km run without fuel, but I am trying to get better at utilising fat... (well that's my excuse anyway - besides the fact I didn't bring any gels with me...), b) vito a sleep in so I run as early as possible when hopefully the weather is a little more bearable... and c) next year I'm bringing my bike!!!

I also swam 2km in the afternoon, which was a lovely reprieve from the heat. I can honestly say I have no idea how I survived 18+ Summers in this place!!

Day 4 begins........ Merry Christmas everyone xxo

No comments:

Post a Comment